The first works of the Bibliotheca Bodmeriana, published between 1947 and 1956, explain the raison d’être of the Martin Bodmer Foundation.
Between 1954 and 1969, Martin Bodmer published 26 volumes of the Bodmer Papyri – a clear indication of the importance Martin Bodmer attached to publications regarding his collection. Papyri texts, which had been stacked away in the Foundation’s storage room, were released. Photographic copies of a number of full manuscripts were also published. The publication of the papyri was completed after Martin Bodmer’s death in 1971.
During the early years, the Foundation concentrated on compiling Catalogues (7 volumes) and Texts (7 volumes).
In 2001, Prof. Martin Bircher suggested reviving this old publishing tradition with a new series called Corona nova.
With the support of the bibliophile Jean Bonna and Prof. Charles Méla, the Sources collection was launched in 2004. Sources provides facsimiles of rare works such as previously unpublished manuscripts and invaluable bibliophile treasures, that are prefaced by renowned scientific experts. Sources is published jointly by the Presses Universitaires de France.
Today, all of the Foundation’s publications are printed by the Schwabe publishing house in Basel.
Since the Museum was opened in 2003, exhibition catalogues have been co-edited by publishing houses that specialize in the themes of the exhibits.